How much do I get?

All services are tailored to individual needs and budgets are set according to your requirements.
Maximum limits apply to funding levels and your coordinators will work with you individually. You will receive a monthly statement itemising the cost of services provided, fees charged and the amount of money left each month.

What can I spend the money on?

The government provides the funding to enable people to remain safely in their own homes and community for as long as they can. Money is generally spent on services and equipment that promotes this. As people are individual and their needs are all different, services are tailored to each person’s circumstances. Examples of spending include personal care, support with cooking and shopping, garden maintenance, walking aids, social groups and physiotherapy. Services can only be provided by authorised people. Funding cannot be ‘cashed out’ and cannot be given to friends or family.

Do I have to use Southern Cross Care workers or services?

Southern Cross Care provides a wide range of care and services but you are not obliged to use them, with the exception of administration, care coordination and advisory services.

Can I pay my family with the funds I receive?

The government does not generally support the payment of family or friends for services; strict guidelines apply to certain permissible circumstances.

Do I have to pay fees?

The government requires you to contribute towards your services by paying the service provider on a monthly basis. Southern Cross Care has a policy regarding fees and would not decline services if there is evidence of financial hardship.

Can I use my own cleaner/gardener?

The use of people employed privately or by other organisations is referred to as an ‘informal service’. Informal services must meet government standards but can be provided by people who have established businesses and can show evidence of relevant qualifications, police clearances and insurances.

What if I want a different service?

You can contact Southern Cross Care at any time to discuss your needs and review your care plan and budget.

What if I’m not eligible for government support?

If you are ineligible to receive funding from the government but would still like some assistance at home, we’re here to help. Simply give us a call or email us to let us know and we can discuss your options.

What if I have safety concerns or issues?

We take your safety and wellbeing seriously and need to know immediately if you have any concerns or feedback. Your home must also be a safe environment for our staff or contractors. Never pay anyone in cash or directly yourself, unless prearranged with your home support services coordinator.

Where does the money come from?

All eligible people (People who have had an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) assessment that states services are required) receive an amount of money from the government to pay for services that assist people to remain in their own homes for as long as possible. These funds come through the Department of Health and Ageing.
The amount of money depends upon the level of care you require. Levels start at 1 (lowest level) and go up to 4 (highest level). The government pays this money to an approved service provider (in this case Southern Cross Care). We then manage the money to fund the services you need.